Saturday, August 13, 2016

Welcome to Retro Repairs!

Welcome to my new blog, http://www.RETRO-REPAIRS.ml/ !

First of all I'm going to tell you... I have 0 experience in arcade system repair. The best I've ever done is make an electric water kettle work again by adjusting a loose internal wire.. which I electrocuted myself while doing. Other than that is a minor understanding of how basic electronics work after having worked on home-made alarms and radio systems. Oh, and I know how to over-clock Bitcoin miners using conductive paint on the chip. However, I've been a software programmer / hex hacker over half my life.

To tell you the truth, this entire project is one big money pit. I'm going to loose a lot of cash doing this... which is why I'm doing it simply as a hobby for the experience. Storage alone is going to cost me $180 (Canadian) per month at least. I figure I'll have about $400 a month to spend on the parts I need.

So what systems am I going to be restoring you might ask... to be honest, I don't fully know yet.

I was helping my buddy look for new arcade machines to buy so I put an ad out on the local http://Kijiji.ca/ asking for anyone with used systems for sale to contact me. It was about a week later that I got a call from 'Brad.' Brad has an arcade graveyard he wants to get rid of, literally. About 30 stripped and aged machines in total sitting in an out-door shed. I guess his friend who used to own a video arcade shop passed away and the machines were left to him... and now he just wants them gone after he initially tried parting them out (which is why they're in the 'gutted' condition they're in.) The buddy who I was originally buying for had no interest since he only wants functioning machines.... but you should see this guys graveyard!

A few systems I can name off the top of my head include Nintendo Super System, Nintendo VS Unisystem, extremely stripped Rygar, Black Tiger, x2 Neo-Geo 1 slots, San-Fransisco Rush: The Rock, Bubble Bobble, and about 20-some more... and he's asking $25 a pop for them! He sees it as an inconvenience to move around in his shed, and I see it as pure gold. A lot of those cabinets are still in playable condition and could sell for about $120-200 a piece... hell, the marquee's alone are worth $60-80 each; and here I am, getting them for $25 or less. Broken CRT's (untested) are going on eBay for $80+ alone on http://eBay.ca/ = )

I just got off the phone with buddy, Brad, and it turns out that I'm going to start picking up the cabinets on the 27th (2 weekends from now) so next weekend I'm going to get $100 fronted to me by my dad to go ahead and get the storage ready.

All-in-all this project is going to cost me an initial start-up fee of  $900 Canadian ($600 for the systems, $200 for storage, $100 for a moving truck)... then an additional $180 per month for storage and up to another $400 per month in repairs. Like I said... it's a money pit hobby, not a career.

 I also found a website that has a few of the "prints" I might need for a couple of the systems....

 ^^ VS Unisystem Nintendo Side Art Decals -- $65.00 USD ^^

VS Unisystem Nintendo Reproduction Side Art decals (set is 2 decals - one for each side of the game)
  • High resolution print on premium 3M vinyl with air egress technology for bubble-free installation. Laminated with 3M Semi-Gloss Finish film.
  • Digital die cut to shape, no rough cuts.
  • Color Matched to NOS
  • Each print is inspected thoroughly before leaving our shop.
  • $10 Shipping
https://www.escapepodonline.com/products/vs-unisystem-nintendo-side-art-decals

^^ Nintendo Super System Side Art -- $98.00 USD ^^
  • Arcade Game Graphics
  • High resolution print on premium 3M vinyl with air egress technology for bubble-free installation. Laminated with 3M Satin finish film.
  • Digital die cut to shape, no rough cuts.
  • Each print is inspected thoroughly before leaving our shop.
  • Shipping $10
https://www.escapepodonline.com/products/nintendo-super-system-side-art



No comments:

Post a Comment

javascript:;